This is a post I wrote on February 16, 2016 for my tumblr.
I made a list of things to do when I feel like giving up–when I’m not suicidal/in danger and I don’t need to be hospitalized, but when I feel lost, overwhelmed and like nothing will get better.
1. Take a day off if at all possible.
2. Get some sleep.
3. Eat something delicious and don’t count calories.
4. Take a shower.
5. Let the three main people in my life know that I need extra support.
6. Go outside for at least 10 minutes (this is something that always makes me feel at least a tiny bit better but I forget to do it).
7. Watch Scrubs, 30 Rock, Cinderella, Singin’ in the Rain, etc (most soothing shows/movies).
8. Listen to Harry Potter audio books (these are very comforting to me).
9. Hold my cats. Remember how much it hurts to be away from them and how much happiness they bring me on a regular basis.
10. Make a nest of blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals. This reminds me of being a kid and is comforting.
11. Look at my side blog of nature photos.
12. Remember that I have been here before and survived. I can do it again.